Re: [ringmasters-l] Another Dumb Newbie!

On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 15:08:16 -0700, Eric Stokien wrote:

>Well just to be sure, I tested it.  And <pre> does allow you to use tags
>within it, so if you want it to display them exactly you need to use
>&lt; and &gt;, and <xmp> displays the code rather than the effects.  I
>would suggest that you be sure of your information before you correct
>someone, so as not to confuse them.
>
>All in all <pre> is not really a good choice for displaying code, I'd
>have to say, since you can use &lt; etc. without it, and all it really
>does in preserve the formatting within it.  And as I said, I believe
><xmp> is going to be supported for some time.  So forget about using
><pre> for displaying code, it's just not worth it.

You are right of course.  So why does W3C's "HTML 4.0 Specification" say
"Obsolete elements  The following elements are obsolete: LISTING, PLAINTEXT,
and XMP. For all of them, authors should use the PRE element instead. "?

Jack Weaver				|| TROPICON XVII -  Nov 13-15, 1998
South Florida Science Fiction Society	|| Guest of Honor:  Neil Gaiman
http://scifi.squawk.com/sfsfs.html		|| Visit TROPICON's Homepage at
http://fanac.org/sffandom		|| http://scifi.squawk.com/tropicon.html