Re: Developing errata for 4.0

At 11:26 AM 9/30/98 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:

>Thanks for coordinating on this. I see you already
>have an issues tracking tool [1] set up to do this kind of
>thing. (I've wanted one just like it for a long time, for
>the HTML WG and others I am involved with. I would be interested
>in hearing how your tool works in a separate
>discussion.)

any time.

>I guess the first issue here for me is: Does the new HTML WG
>wish to assume the persistent activities of the former WG, including
>errata management and translation requests/offers? If so,
>you should take over the job of managing HTML 4.0 errata.

Good question.  I think that it is reasonable for the group to take over
this activity, but I believe that it needs to be a group decision.  I am
happy to do it, since it is absolutely within the scope of my
responsibilities at The Open Group, and it is in TOG's best interests to
champion the reissuing of updated HTML specifications as issues are clarified.

>Here's how we do it today: I do the best I can to track errata
>and when I have the time, I update the errata page (linked from the
>Recommendation [2]). Periodically (no regular schedule established
>and we've only done this once) we rerelease the HTML 4.0
>specification with corrections and clarifications *only*. This involves:
>
>   - Correcting the body of the spec.
>   - Listing the changes in appendix/changes.html (essentially
>     the errata sheet)
>   - Initializing the errata sheet.

Let me be clear on this...

The re-release would include any clarifications or corrections, but no new
features.  Right?

>Note that each errata sheet refers to a specific version of the
>spec and its name and contents must be updated with each
>re-release of the spec.
>
>If you or the WG decide to assume responsibility for managing
>HTML 4.0 errata, you should have control over errata page
>updates. Whenever you would like to issue a re-release of HTML 4.0,
>talk to myself or Arnaud Le Hors about the document production
>mechanisms and we'll gladly help with the changes page, publication,
>etc.

Terriffic.

I assume that the base document is in HTML?  Or is it in some other hybrid?
--
Shane P. McCarron                                    phone: +1 612 434-4431
Testing Research Manager                               fax: +1 612 434-4318

OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in
the US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
trademarks of The Open Group.