IFRAME specification

From: Theodore W. Hall <twhall@cuhk.edu.hk>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:37:14 +0800
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Dear Editor:

It's not clear to me from the documentation whether the IFRAME element
is in the Strict, Transitional, or Frameset DTD.

      Since IFRAME doesn't appear here, I assume that it's either
      Frameset or Transitional.  But, please see my comments below:

      16.5 Inline frames: the IFRAME element

      The example implies that it's in the Frameset DTD:

         "For user agents that support frames, the following example
          will place an inline frame surrounded by a border in the
          middle of the text."

      However, the reference delimits all of the /other/ Frameset
      elements with

         <![ %HTML.Frameset; [

      (16.4.1, the NOFRAMES element, is missing the closing "]]>")

      The IFRAME element is not so delimited in this reference, nor
      is it marked as deprecated.  This seems to imply that it's in
      the Strict DTD.

      The index of elements marks it as part of the "loose"
      (Transitional?) DTD.  It's the only "loose" element that isn't
      also marked as deprecated.  Except for this, I would have
      thought that "loose" and "deprecated" were synonymous.

It seems to me that, for all practical purposes, IFRAME is in the
Frameset DTD -- it's neither Strict nor deprecated.  I suggest:

      delimit IFRAME with "<![ %HTML.Frameset; [...]]>"

      mark the DTD column with F rather than L.

I don't know if these are merely editorial changes, or whether there's
some deeper issue with regard to the standard itself.  I would welcome
your feedback.

Best regards,

   Ted Hall                           <twhall@cuhk.edu.hk>
   Postdoctoral Fellow