ISO 639 code for Hebrew [was Re: error in HTML4 spec]

Ian Jacobs wrote:

> nir dagan wrote:
> >
> > Dear Editors of HTML.
> >
> > I think that there is an error in an example in section 8.1.1 of
> > the HTML 4.0 spec. It is said that "he" is the two letter code
> > for Hebrew, whereas the references you give to ISO639 say it is
> >  "iw" and not "he". "he" isn't assigned to any language.
> > (I looked at the reference at www.sil.org).
> >
> > Please enlighten me if I got it wrong. I have a link to a Hebrew
> > site, and I am not sure how to write the HREFLANG.
>
> Yes, I'm afraid this looks like a bug. I'll verify this
> with our internationalization experts, but you should
> probably use "iw" since it's registered.
>
> Thank you for pointing this out.
>
> Ian

It is *not* a bug.  The correct code is "he".  In 1989, the ISO 639
Registration Authority changed a number of codes as follows (the quote is
taken from RFC 1766):

:  The following codes have been added in 1989 (nothing later): ug
:  (Uigur), iu (Inuktitut, also called Eskimo), za (Zhuang), he (Hebrew,
:  replacing iw), yi (Yiddish, replacing ji), and id (Indonesian,
:  replacing in).

  Misha Wolf            Email: misha.wolf@reuters.com      85 Fleet Street
  Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722            London EC4P 4AJ
  Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314            UK
12th International Unicode Conference, 8-10 Apr 1998, Tokyo, www.unicode.org
   7th World Wide Web Conference, 14-18 Apr 1998, Brisbane, www7.conf.au

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.