In re References

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:05:04 +0900
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Cc: w3c-html-wg@w3.org
Hi editors,

I think these are only editorial issues.

1. Add suffix or not?

In http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/9712/PR-html40-971205/reference.html,
it seems there are some inconsistencies.  For example,

   [CSS1]
          "Cascading Style Sheets, level 1", H. W. Lie and B. Bos, 17
          December 1996.
          Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1-961217.html

adds ".html" to its URI, while

   [DATETIME]
          "Date and Time Formats", W3C Note, M. Wolf and C. Wicksteed, 15
          September 1997.
          Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

omits ".html".  http://www.w3.org/Project/Reports says:

    When quoting the URL of a report, always omit the ".html".

So I think we should omit ".html" from our technical reports.

2. "character-sets", not "character-sets/"

While

   [MIMETYPES]
          List of registered content types (MIME types). Download a list
          of registered content types from
          ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/.

is surely directory,

   [CHARSETS]
          Registered charset values. Download a list of registered
          charset values from
          ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets/.

is NOT directory (don't add trailing `/'!).  Its URI should be:

          ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets

3. Too much "href" in [WAIGUIDE]

   [WAIGUIDE]
          Guidelines for designing accessible HTML documents are
          available at
          href="http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/#GUIDELINES. For
          ~~~~~~
          information about the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI),
          please consult http://www.w3.org/WAI/.

You don't have to add `href="' in the referenced URI itself :-)

--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium