Re: Obsolete elements in HTML 4.0 final draft

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:52:25 -0500 ()
To: Brian Mitchell <brian@mindbendr.com>
cc: www-html-editor@w3.org
On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Brian Mitchell wrote:

> The following elements are now obsolete: XMP, PLAINTEXT, and LISTING.
> For all of them, you should use the PRE element instead.

This follows up from 3.2 where we indicated that these elements were
likely to be obsoleted. One reason is that they don't conform to the
SGML standard, another is that PRE can and should be used in their
place. I agree that its a bit of work to escape < and & but its not
that bad.

> Also, I did not see any mention of the CODE element.  Exactly what
> is the current status of this ?  And should there be any suggestions
> to use *both* CODE and PRE in A.1.3, instead ?

CODE is an *inline* emphasis element which has been part of HTML
for some time. the HTML 4.0 Proposed Recommendation says:

CODE:
       Designates a fragment of computer code.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)