Addition to OL type

From: Jan Jachnik <jan_jachnik@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:26:14 -0400
To: HTML editor <www-html-editor@w3.org>
Dear Editor,

A suggestion:
Could we have another OL type of say "." to be used for legal numbering of
paragraphs, where the result would be the same as type="1" but with the
full hierarchical number displayed as in

This would not be difficult to implement as the browsers already manage to
keep track of nested lists. The only problem I forsee would be in allowing
enough of an indent or overhang to fit in a potentially long string.

Would it also be possible to add some sort of typographical style to the
numbering, as in (1). This would enable a standard numbering to be
unambiguous when more than 5 levels of headings are used - currently
impossible with only IA1ia available all in a single style. Indentation is
the only way of preventing ambiguity. Personally I think that authors
should rewrite rather than use so many heading levels, but I have been
processing documents which quite frequently have as many as 8 levels.

Keep up the good work. The HTML4 spec looks good.

Jan Jachnik