Default value for <BASEFONT>?

From: E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:45:49 -0700
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Bon soir Arnaud,

(Or are there other people who read www-html-editors?
It's always Arnaud who writes me back.)

Here's another item that is possibly an error.  In
     http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/graphics.html#edef-BASEFONT
the spec says:

> If BASEFONT is not used, the default base font size is 4.

In practice, 3 seems to be the actual default size used by browsers.
In HTML 3.2, BASEFONT is given a default of 3:

> BASEFONT
>
> <!ELEMENT BASEFONT - O EMPTY    -- base font size (1 to 7) -->
> <!ATTLIST BASEFONT
>     size    CDATA   #IMPLIED    -- e.g. size=4, defaults to 3 --
>     >

If you intend to redefine the default, I think HTML 4.0 should
be explicit and say the default is being redefined.

Most likely, I think this is just a mistake, am I right?
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>
http://www.emf.net/~estephen/