esperanto and html 4.0

From: Ed Boraas <ecxjo@esperanto.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 15:49:46 -0700
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
>From http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/struct/dirlang.html subsection
"interpretation of language codes":

>For artificial languages such as Elfish or Klingon, it would make sense to
use the lang attribute to indicate >the change from the language of the
enclosing context. Until the successor to [RFC1766] defines a standard way
>to do this, one possibility is to use the x- prefix convention, e.g.

it is worth noting that planned languages which are used as international
auxilliary languages (which are sometimes referred to as "artificial"),
such as esperanto, are already defined with 2-letter codes in the iso639
standard (see "http://www.sil.org/sgml/iso639a.html"). instructing website
owners to use "x-esperanto" instead of simply "eo" would not be helpful in
the identification process. possibly an addendum to this paragraph stating
"However, many international auxilliary languages already have 2-letter
codes. Please refer to http://www.sil.org/sgml/iso639a.html for further
information." or something similar would be helpful.

additionally, i was wondering whether or not there is support for
&charactername; type conventions for extended latin, for instance the
esperanto characters &ccirc;, &gcirc;, &hcirc;, &jcirc;, &scirc; and
&ubreve; which correspond to ISO10646/Unicode characters 264/265
(capital/lower case), 284/5, 292/3, 308/9, 348/9, 364/5, respectively.
esperanto is gaining an incredible percentage of the non-english language
pages available today.

thank you for your time. if you have any comments or questions for me,
please feel free to write.

-ed boraas