Show or no show tags

From: Aaron Peterson <aaron.peterson@prostar.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:08:39 -0700
To: "'www-html-editor@w3.org'" <www-html-editor@w3.org>
I would like to be able to choose if an old browser can display items between tags it does not know.

I suggest something like:

<$ GOBBLE >  This would not be displayed in browsers that does not support this gobble tag</GOBBLE>
<*GOBBLE> would be shown as normal text</*GOBBLE>

<GOBBLE> and this would just show up as regular text if the browser doesn't recognize it</GOBBLE>

You may already have something like this, and I think it may be useful when you guys make an HTML 20.0 that has tons of tags that contain "garbage"

Aaron Peterson
Aaron.Peterson@prostar.com