Comment on Cougar WD-htmllink

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 21:39:40 +0200 (MET DST)
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl (Koen Holtman), mutz@hpl.hp.com, masinter@parc.xerox.com

Hi,

A comment on the LINK tag examples in
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-htmllink :

Things like

    <LINK REL=stylesheet MEDIA=print HREF="corporate-print.css">
    <LINK REL=stylesheet MEDIA=screen HREF="corporate-screen.css">
    <LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="techreport.css">

and

    <LINK REL=alternate LANG=fr HREF="mydoc-fr.html">

are really a form of content negotiation.  The IETF http-wg has been
working on this issue for some time.  In particular, we are close to
completing work on an extensible `variant description' format, with
semantics that allow a recipient to automatically judge the quality of
the different variants, and choose the best one.  This format will
capture things like `MEDIA=print' and `LANG=fr'.

The variant description format and semantic model is currently
contained, along with a lot of HTTP-specific stuff, in the internet
draft draft-ietf-http-negotiation-01.txt.  A HTML version on this
draft is on the homepage for HTTP content negotiation at
http://gewis.win.tue.nl/~koen/conneg/ .

Seeing an increase in the interest in metadata, we are considering
whether we should take out the variant description stuff and put it in
a separate internet draft, so that it is more easily accessible to
other groups.  Would you be interested in having such a thing?

Koen.