Re: Get the values of an element and combine them

A component UI control is typically these are handled in the IBM
implementation.  The control only has one xf:input, but as a matter of
presentation, the "style" of the control is a group of related UI elements
that collect the pieces of the datum. The control knows how to parse and
shred the datum into its parts on startup and when the instance data value
is changed by something else, like a setvalue or the completion of a
submission.  And changes to the parts are commited by the component UI
control at times that are determined by the control.

For example, gathering the input of an ip address or a long credit card
number or even a good dateTime input would not be different than your
case. I'd also expect that the control would focus on the two numbers
involved and use presentational labels for the east and north parts, since
you may want to present those labels in another language. It's only the
data that has to say literally 'east' and 'north', and the control is free
to mix in extra non-editable characters with the editable parts.

You could also build this up yourself out of a group of pure XForms
controls, combined with some model logic and/or event handlers.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
IBM Distinguished Engineer & IBM Master Inventor
@johnboyerphd | boyerj@ca.ibm.com