Re: Argumentation needed - IHE intends to drop XForms in favor of HTML5

Hi Oskari,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:50 PM,  <Oskari.Koskimies@nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not an author of the spec, but here's my take:
>
> XHTML is fine as a recommendation for what web-based systems should output. It is problematic, however, as a source format for form interchange:
>
> - Due to reliance on scripting, a form authored in one tool cannot be understood by another tool except on the most basic level (on the other hand, I have no experience of compatibility between XForms tools)
> - Due to the complexity of the spec, a fully compatible form player cannot be implemented in embedded systems less capable than current smartphones, whereas XForms minimum requirements are an order of magnitude smaller (e.g. Java-based dumbphone implementations exist, and native implementations could be used on even less capable devices)
>
> Additionally, if IHE is really going to specify HTML5 as the requirement (rather than just XHTML), one has to question the choice to standardize on a spec that is not finished yet (might reach candidate recommendation status next year, might not), and for which there are no even close to complete implementations, even for the forms part (see implementation status notes in left margin at http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#forms).

Completely agree.

> That being said, would it be feasible for your client to use XForms only internally and transcode the XForms into XHTML for interoperability purposes (possibly by using EMC Documentum XForms or XSLTForms)?

The fight is not lost yet - our customer uses betterFORM in their
product but he has good hope that the standards people of IHE are
still open to discussion and arguments. I'll post the results of that
here as soon as i know more.

So for now it's too early to give up on that and it also would be at
least some effort to port the current solution to an alternative
product. Though we have a standard here - lets face it - complete
interoperability between products is still a challenge.

Thanks,

Joern