From:   Philip Fennell <Philip.Fennell@marklogic.com>
To:     "www-forms@w3.org" <www-forms@w3.org>
Date:   05/10/2011 09:07 AM
Subject:        XForms' transform function
Sent by:        www-forms-request@w3.org

I have been experimenting with demonstrating Schematron validation within
XForms by the use of the proposed transform function. I have been using
XSLTForms beta3 and have a rather limited example which uses the textual
result from the XSLT 1.0 skeleton implementation. Seeing as XSLTForms'
transform function returns a string serialization of the result of the
transform I cannot use the SVRL representation of a Schematron report
which would, if available as an XML tree, provide more options for
presentation and logic/behavior than the basic text report. However, it
does prove that it can work all be it that the 'complied' schema can only
be accessed via a URI.

I am still looking for an implementation that'll firstly let me store the
compiled schema in an XForms instance and ultimately allow me to
daisy-chain the compilation transforms, across an number of instances, so
that I can create a Schematron rules editor in XForms and have the schema
compiled and applied to a test source document upon DOMSubtreeModified
events dispatched from the schema instance. The nearest option I can
currently see working is to use Orbeon's xxforms:call-xpl() function and
implement the Schematron compilation pipeline externally to XForms but
that's not what I'm after.

I have attached the fledgling form so that you can see the string of
instances I'll in order to compile the schema. It's all rather a hack at
the moment but I'm planning on making it look a bit more presentable.

Regards

Philip Fennell
Consultant
MarkLogic Corporation

One Kingdom Street
Paddington Central
London W2 6BD
United Kingdom

Mobile: +44 (0) 7824 830 866
Tel:    +44 (0) 203 402 3619

email  Philip.Fennell@marklogic.com
web    www.marklogic.com

[attachment "schematron.xml" deleted by John Boyer/CanWest/IBM]