Re: invalid binding expression error

On 13/09/2010, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com> wrote:
> Comments interspersed.
>
> On 13 Sep 2010, at 14:55 , e-letter wrote:
>
>> On 12/09/2010, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com>
>> wrote:

>>> That's a straightforward change to the XPath expression:
>>> /purpose/analysis/@type points to the attribute, and to
>>> point to the analysis element you want /purpose/analysis
>>> or (given that /purpose is the document element and thus
>>> in this case the context node) just "analysis".
>>>
>> Again, the latter suggestion works, thank you, but in truth I don't
>> understand this reference to the 'document element'.
>
> In an XML document, the 'document element' is just the
> outermost element of the document, the one within which all
> the other elements appear.  Sometimes it's called the root
> element.  The XPath spec uses the term without explanation, as
> it's fairly standard XML terminology.

Yes, I understood root element as I had seen reference to that term,
but never 'document element'.

>> Could you point
>> to a relevant part of the specification that explains 'context node'
>> please?
>
> I don't see any full explanation of the idea of context node
> in the XPath 1.0 or 1.1 spec -- it's not an XForms-specific
> idea.
>
> The 'context node' is the node in a document which serves
> as the reference point for evaluating any context-dependent
> parts of an XPath expression.  The idea is an important part
> of XPath, and in order to provide an effective rule for
> interpreting the XPath expressions in a form, the XForms
> spec must specify how to determine the context node used
> for the interpretation of any given expression.  That task is
> performed by section 7.4 of the XPath 1.0 spec, 7.2 of the
> 1.1 spec.
>
> If the concept is unfamiliar to you, you may find it helpful
> to read some introductory tutorials on XPath.
>

>> I looked at the output file 'testsubmit.xml' which appears as:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>> <generalinformation>
>>        <generalinformation/>
>>       </generalinformation>
>
> I think this means you got the submit to work.  Good!
>
>> This seems wrong to me; I was expecting the output to contain 'epc
>> england' if chosen from the list menu. Am I right to conclude that
>> this is a bug with writer?
>
> Probably not, as far as I can tell from the evidence I've
> got.  Your submission element is a child of the second of
> your two model elements, so what it submits (in the absence
> of any instructions to the contrary) is the default instance
> in that model, which has the shape you record above (a
> generalinformation element containing another generalinformation
> element).  The string 'epc england' is content in the default
> instance of your *first* model, for which your form does not
> currently define any submission.
>
> I wonder if a simpler form might be easier to get started with?

This concept of using two model elements originates from a writer
tutorial, advising to populate a list menu with elements from a second
model. Now I have discovered how to manipulate the writer content.xml
file without the writer user interface I will simplify the form with a
single model. Thank you!