Re: How to respond to 'xforms-out-of-range'

From: Ronald van Kuijk <rvkuijk@intercommit.nl>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:18:55 +0200
To: "John Boyer" <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>, www-forms@w3.org
Hi John,

Thanks for replying and thanks to the WG for putting it on the list for todays meeting. It was not that obvious was it?

> The empty string is not out of range for select and select1 controls (see
> esp. the notes in Section 8.1.1 for select1 controls).

I missed this, thanks for pointing it out, but the empty string was just an example. It could  as well be a non-empty one that is in the instance from somewhere else.

> Yes, we agree that a select or select1 can be in range but invalid.  The
> in range/out of range eventing is about the UI control's ability to
> properly show the bound data value, notwithstanding whether the model
> regards it as valid or invalid.

In range but invalid is not the real problem. A kind of html like select will show the corresponding label then. The other way around is harder. 'Properly showing the bound data value' is to me (a non-native English speaker) also 'explicit'. Does it mean the control should (must?) in some way or another show the value that cannot be shown in the select itself? E.g. a dymamic, non specified (xforms) alert that is probably not customizable by the form developer? Or e.g. Dynamically adding it to the nodeset/items for the select and doing some magic things, or....? It feels like this is against the phylosophy of XForms of declaritively defining behaviour.

Cheers,

Ronald