Re: Nested binds in future versions of XForms spec

Hi guys,

Nested binds have been supported in the spec for a very very long time
now.
I actually don't recall a time that they were *not* supported, but I do
recall several discussions in the fives-yeasr-ago timeframe because
1) implementers were doing it slightly differently, causing subtle
differences in the behavior of xpath functions like position()
2) we needed to do some work to define what it meant to make an IDREF to
an inner bind whose containing bind's nodeset had size > 1

These were also worked out a long time ago and support appears in XForms
1.0 third edition and XForms 1.1.

I believe Claudius is actually asking when implementers will fully support
the "Context Everywhere" feature.  For XForms 1.1, the context attribute
is only supported on the insert and delete elements.  Although we really
wanted the context attribute in other places, we really had to stop adding
things to 1.1, so it was deferred to 1.2.

One of the places where the context attribute would be useful is on inner
nested binds, provided the meaning is that it sets the context for
evaluating the xpaths but does not change the node to which any MIP
expressions apply.  This makes sense on a number of levels, including
1) context should not have special side effects on a particular element
like bind; it should just set the eval context for expressions on the
element
2) there would be equivalence with alternate markup formats that would
make better sense, e.g <bind nodeset="x"> <calculate context=".."
value="a+b"/> </bind>

Anyway, I've now created the proper link from the "context everywhere"
feature here:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/@context_everywhere

to the other page about unified eval context that Claudius was reading,
because they are about the same thing and because the "context everywhere"
feature has the status "Accepted" working group status for XForms 1.2 and
has an editor assigned (your truly, in fact).

So, yes, it's coming in the spec sense, and I also believe it is an *easy*
one for implementers to get going, so lean on your favorite implementer a
bit if you need this sooner rather than later because the implementations
lead the spec.

Best regards,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: