From: John Boyer [mailto:boyerj@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: vrijdag 28 mei 2010 18:40
To: Joern Turner
Cc: Leigh L. Klotz, Jr.; Nick Van den Bleeken; www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Re: proposal for new submission replace mode 'new'

Joern raises a good point here, indirectly perhaps.
Using things like _top may destroy the XForms processor, but this is consistent with replace="all" behavior, so that doesn't seems to bad.
But with target="_blank" or target="#ID", the result is not consistent with replacing all of the containing document.

Might it be better, then, to have one more attribute value for replace, e.g. replace="target", which indicates that what to do with the submission result is being delegated to the target attribute, and whatever happens next is defined by that attribute.  This would at least make things explicit at the markup level and at the code level, as Joern originally asked, i.e. replace="target" would be clear about what is going on to the form author and, for the implementer, would cause execution to follow a new code branch in which the target attribute is processed.  At the spec level, there would be no need to explain away the various @replace values where  @target made no sense.

I think we may have even discussed this possibility during one of the target attribute discussions in the hazy past.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Lotus Forms
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/rss/JohnBoyer?flavor=rssdw

Joern Turner <joern.turner@googlemail.com>

Nick Van den Bleeken <Nick.Van.den.Bleeken@inventivegroup.com>

"Leigh L. Klotz, Jr." <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>, "www-forms@w3.org" <www-forms@w3.org>

05/27/2010 08:07 AM

Re: proposal for new submission replace mode 'new'

________________________________

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Nick Van den Bleeken
<Nick.Van.den.Bleeken@inventivegroup.com> wrote:
> Hi Joern,
>
> First of all I'm happy that you can live with the target attribute.
i feel generous today ;)

> One of the reasons to go with a target attribute is: That we can leave the value space of the replace attribute as is ("all"|"instance"|"text"|"none" | QNameButNotNCName), and define value space of the new target attribute as host-language dependent.

This only leads to a problem when using '_top', '_parent' or '_self'
as this results in replacing the current viewport of the browser (the
viewport the form is running in) and this surely should lead to the
destruction of the XForms processor shouldn't it? But in case i use
'_blank' (which was my original use case) i want the processor to keep
on living.  Do we possibly need to constrain the possible value space
of @target?

Joern