question about usage

From: Howard, Chris <HowardC@prpa.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:30:50 -0600
To: <www-forms@w3.org>
This may not be an appropriate place for this question...

I'm trying to implement an invoice-type form using XForms.
I have the examples of inserting and deleting from repeating
groups of elements.

What do I do with an xml file that does not have any
elements of some optional type, where I then want
the user to be able to insert some of those elements?

Do I somehow load up a "dummy" xml document that contains
spaceholders for all of the optional elements and then
merge that with my true data?

Looking for suggestions,
Chris