Re: xforms:copy binding query

Aaron Reed wrote:

> Hey John,
>
>  > It helps to start with copy, then apply the analogous ideas to value.
>  >
>  > If you have an item that is selected or deselected, we specify that this
>  > corresponds to insertion or deletion of the tree that matches the
>  > referenced node.  It doesn't make sense for copy to do an indeterminate
>  > number of insert or delete actions on trees that do not match its ref.
>  >  The copy element is only there to determine whether or not a copy of
>  > the referenced tree should be in the content of the select's or
>  > select1's UI bound node.  In the case of a select1, the control
>  > deselects any selected item when some new item is selected.  But a
>  > select/select1 operates on content *using* its set of items, so if there
>  > is no item associated with the content, then the select/select1 has no
>  > way to select or deselect it.
>
> So now you are saying that select1 also won't wipe out previous values?

I don't think this is what John means, since there is not talk anywhere
in the spec about select1 dealing with a list of space-separated values
in instance data.

> As I've said before, I get why we want to support this.  I do NOT get
> why we would throw away years of consistent, cross-control default
> behavior when we don't have to.  We can do both.  Allowing a couple of
> controls to set values that they can't possibly represent is not good
> DEFAULT behavior.  Good DEFAULT behavior keeps us in line with
> traditional web form behavior.

Technically, I don't think we can start adding new attributes at this
point in the XForms 1.1 process. But what we can do is pick the default,
and it seems that so far the WG has been more inclined to pick
non-destructive as the default.

I am forwarding this thread to public-forms to see if the WG wants to
re-examine this in light of your comments.

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/