how to get xforms:output into an attribute?

From: Erik Sjölund <erik.sjolund@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:06:14 +0100
To: www-forms@w3.org

On the FormFaces help forum I was suggested to send this use case to this list.

"Suppose, you have an instance containing a list

<item link="http://www.example.com" linktext="Example site"/>
<item link="http://www.wikipedia.org" linktext="A really nice

and you want to use the <xforms:repeat> element to iterate over the
list to produce something like this xhtml output,

Could this be done with the <xforms:output> element somehow?

I've got the answer that it isn't possible and I also found out that
the same question has been asked before on this list:

My interest would be to have a SOAP-based bioinformatics web service
that could serve both machines and humans ( through xforms ) at the
same time. Right now it seems that I'd better generate some
xhtml-tables on the server side for the human interaction part. But if
I would be able to set attribute values inside xforms:repeats, the
server wouldn't need to bother with GUI details.

This ought to be a quite common use case. How do you solve it right now?

Erik Sjölund