Re: function-available gone?

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 06:12:41 -0400
To: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
CC: www-forms@w3.org

John Boyer wrote:

> 1) the form author would have to set up an event handler to run the
> XPath that called the function-available() function.

No, they just would have needed to use the if function in their XPath.

> 2) The form author would have needed a way to generate a processing halt
> if the function returned false.

Or they could have called a different expression instead,

> By comparison, the current method allows the XForms processor to
> determine very early in the lifecycle of the document (i.e. before
> running any XPaths) whether or not the necessary functions are
> available.  It is also a much easier way to make such a statement
> compared to the function method outlined above.

How does one use the current machinery to take one path if a function is
available and another if the function is not? Assume I do not want to
halt procesing just because an extension function is missing.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!