Re: The message action is for messages, not arbitrary dialogs

Hi Ulrich,

Well, not that I like chameleon namespaces.  Far from it.  In fact I am
beginning to wonder whether the amount of formalism we hope to achieve
with the HTML WG around "Forms Tiny" will be enough to allow us to dump
chameleon namespaces.  We'll be trying to get this into the discussion
stream early in the new year (possibly tomorrow) and see what comes of it.

However, my point about message is orthogonal to the chameleon namespace
issue.

The issue is the same whether you get the host language elements because
they have been "chameleoned" in or whether you get them because the XForms
spec uses English to say that the host language can add its own content to
the message element.

Content elements added to message should be output only.  In fact, the
emergence of forms tiny may give us an opportunity to formalize the
content model for message when used in HTML, though the full breadth of
restrictions is not be expressible with DTD or schema 1.0 (I believe
schema 1.1 could pull it off though).

Happy New Year!

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Workplace Forms Architect and Researcher
Co-Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

"Ulrich Nicolas Lissé" <unlisse@googlemail.com>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
12/11/2006 05:31 AM

John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA
cc
"Elliotte Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, ebruchez@orbeon.com,
www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-request@w3.org
Subject
Re: The message action is for messages, not arbitrary dialogs

John,

I agree completely. A message is a message is a message. However, when
the XForms 1.0 xf:message content model will be included in XForms 1.1
unchanged, things are getting ugly: You can then have XForms markup
within xf:message piggy-backed via the host language because of
XForms' 1.1 chameleon schema feature. One compelling reason more for
me to opt against chameleon madness.

Regards,
Uli.

On 12/8/06, John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Elliotte,
>
> I should start by saying that, having heard you speak at the XML
conference, this response is not entirely directed to you.

> Still, it is quite difficult to imagine a scenario in which 'message'
might legitimately be used in place of 'dialog' and the many examples you
cited are witnesses to that assertion.

> This keeps happening because of the definition of the word message.  A
message is one-sided.  A dialog would be composed of two or more messages.
 Like, you sent a message, and now I'm sending a message.  The two
together are a dialog.

> But the most telling is the definition of message that actually appears
in XForms recommendation.  It is defined to *display* a message *to* a
user.  There is nothing *from* the user that comes back to XForms.

> The content model is defined to be char data and XForms *output*.  The
spec then allows host language content to be added to message, which is
*not* the same as saying more *XForms* controls can be added to the
message content model.  The host language additions are not intended to
violate the given definition but rather in support of it to allow
decoration of the message.

> Should some example happen to arise where message is (mis)used to mean
dialog, that doesn't mean we should accept that as proper usage in XForms.