Re: implementors question: correct behavior of nested nodeset in repeat

Hi Joern,

Hmm, yes, I forgot about that common parent issue entirely.

Yes, XForms does currently place a restriction on what XPath will natively
do.
So, the XPath will indeed produce 6 nodes, but XForms repeats place
restrictions on those nodes corresponding to the definition of homogeneous
collection.  So look for that word.

The spec says that the nodes must have the same qname and same parent.
This means that you can expect some or many implementations to create a
binding exception if the rules of homogeneous collection are not met.

It turns out that the spec work has *not* been done to eliminate the
homogeneous collection language from repeat, though we did mostly remove
it from insert/delete in 1.1.

My spidey sense tells me that a last call comment on this point may not be
too far in the distance.  Keep in mind that a 'last call' comment doesn't
mean it'll change, but it also doesn't mean it won't :-)

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Workplace Forms Architect and Researcher
Co-Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

"Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
02/27/2007 08:29 AM
Please respond to
mark.birbeck@x-port.net

"Joern Turner" <joern.turner@web.de>
cc
www-forms@w3.org
Subject
Re: implementors question: correct behavior of nested nodeset in repeat

Hi Joern,

There used to be a restriction on nodesets, such that they had to have
a common parent and be all of the same name. This has since been
relaxed, so in my view your example should have 6 nodes.

(Even when the nodeset restrictions were tighter, I don't believe it
was clear what to do in this situation; throw an error on selecting
the nodes? Just return the first 3 nodes, from the first parent?
Nothing was clearly defined.)

--
  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer

  mark.birbeck@x-port.net | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232