RE: sending xml response from servlet

I agree with Erik except that on #1 I believe you will find web clients where sending charset=UTF-8 necessary though against recommendations.
I intended to say #2.

-----Original Message-----
From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Erik Bruchez
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 1:00 PM
To: www-forms
Subject: Re: sending xml response from servlet

Leigh & all,

A correction: if you use the media type application/xml, which is the
recommended media type for XML, i.e. you produce the header:

then you must not add an encoding (charset) to that, because charset is
defined for text media types. XML is actually not a text format in the
usual sense, because of the XML declaration which can contain the
encoding (and the default to UTF-8 if you don't have an XML declaration
or no encoding in the declaration).

In short, this is what I recommend:

o Use application/xml

o If you want to specify an output encoding other than UTF-8, do it
   by setting the appropriate parameter on your XML serialization API.

o Always use the API to serialize XML to a binary stream rather than
   a text stream.

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/