Re: sending xml response from servlet

From: Aaron Reed <aaronr@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:04:28 -0600
To: www-forms@w3.org

Hi Iņaki,

I am no servlet or java guru by any stretch of the imagination, but this
is what I did to build a simple servlet that got a xml document from
xforms, tweaked a few text nodes in it (via the method
changePassword()), and then sent back a xml response to replace the
instance that was sent:

public void doWork(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
		throws ServletException, IOException {
	  String contentType = req.getContentType();
	  if(contentType.equalsIgnoreCase("text/xml") ||
contentType.equalsIgnoreCase("application/xml")) {
	  	InputStream inputStream = req.getInputStream();
	    DocumentBuilderFactory factory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
	    try {
	      DocumentBuilder docBuilder = factory.newDocumentBuilder();
	      Document doc = docBuilder.parse(inputStream);
	      if(doc != null) {
	      	boolean result = changePassword(doc);
	      	if (result == true) {
	          // following code serializes dom to xml file

               OutputFormat of =  new OutputFormat(doc);
               ServletOutputStream outputStream = resp.getOutputStream();
               XMLSerializer serializer = new XMLSerializer();
               DOMSerializer domSerializer = serializer.asDOMSerializer();
	    catch (Exception e) {

Again, I don't know if this is the way a 'real' app designer would do
it, but it worked for me in my little test scenario.

Good luck,