Re: checkbox labels

www-forms-request@w3.org wrote on 01/31/2007 02:49:55 PM:

> I noticed that every xforms processor that I tried put the labels for
> boolean inputs (usually rendered as checkboxes) to the left of the
> checkbox even though the overwhelming preference for html forms is to
> have the label on the right of a checkbox.

I think "overwhelming preference" understates the prevalence of this
design rule. I don't have a single piece of software on my computer where
the labels are anywhere but to the right of a boolean control. Not one.

I have yet to get my feet wet with XForms, so there is no point in trying
to hide my ignorance when I ask: Are you serious? The labels are being
placed to the left?

I am not aware of a single usability design reference that departs from
the "on the right" guideline. If the current "XForms way" is to put the
labels on the left, I respectfully suggest it is time to get someone with
usability design skills involved in XForms and reconsider this.

Kirk