Re: some technical thoughts about incremental improvements to forms

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:47:02 +1000
To: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
CC: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, www-forms@w3.org

Doug Schepers wrote:
> Hi, Lachlan-
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> What tests?  My tests clearly show it doesn't.  View this in IE.
>> http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C%21DOCTYPE%20html%3E%0D%0A%3Cdiv/%3Ediv%0D%0A%3Cp/%3Ep%0D%0A%3Cul%3E%3Cli/%3Eli%3C/ul%3E
> Could you please tell us what your example is meant to illustrate?

That if IE really did honour the empty element syntax in this markup:

Then the DOM should have looked like this:

     + DIV
     + #text: div
     + P
     + #text: p
     + UL
         # LI
         # #text: li

However, as the DOM view showed, it looks no different from what you
would get without the XML empty element syntax, like this

Lachlan Hunt