Re: some technical thoughts about incremental improvements to forms

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:47:18 +1000
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
CC: www-forms@w3.org

Dave Raggett wrote:
>>> Internet Explorer honors the /> syntax for empty elements whereas
>>> Firefox and Opera, for instance, do not.
>>
>> IE only honours that for its non-standard, pseudo-XML nonsense known
>> as XML Data Islands.
>
> My tests used well formed XHTML together with non-html elements,

What tests?  My tests clearly show it doesn't.  View this in IE.

http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C%21DOCTYPE%20html%3E%0D%0A%3Cdiv/%3Ediv%0D%0A%3Cp/%3Ep%0D%0A%3Cul%3E%3Cli/%3Eli%3C/ul%3E

> but without the <xml></xml> element that most people think of
> when talking about XML data islands.

In this case, I was actually thinking of the way IE handles xmlns:foo
attributes and elements with namespace prefixes.  e.g. <xf:model>.  But
in both cases, IE doesn't really use XML processing and can build broken
DOMs.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/