Re: XHTML and MIME

On Friday 2006-09-01 10:03 -0700, T.V Raman wrote:
> It's always been a mystery to me as to why   people advocating
> tag-soup continuation assert "we can build a DOM from tag-soup"
> but then immediately insist on never doing failure recovery when
> parsing  xhtml.

Because one set of undocumented non-interoperable tag soup parsing rules
is more than enough?

If there were a spec defining exactly what errors were corrected and
how, then it would be much more reasonable.  Of course, there already is
such a spec -- XML 1.0 -- and it says [1]:

# Once a fatal error is detected, however, the processor MUST NOT
# continue normal processing (i.e., it MUST NOT continue to pass
# character data and information about the document's logical structure
# to the application in the normal way).

-David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#dt-fatal