Re: A note to implementors about entities in external instance data

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:54:20 +0200
To: "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, www-forms <www-forms@w3.org>

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:30:31 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2006, at 15:32, Steven Pemberton wrote:
>
>> Seeing the following:
>> 	http://www.w3.org/2002/04/xml_bugs/#bug4
>
> The document is clearly referring to Gecko's behavior without naming
> names.

Not necessarily. That document was documenting common bugs in XML parsers,
possibly due to misreading of the spec. I have seen the bugs in more than
just Gecko. In fact in my cases, Gecko did it right (because it did
something special with the namespace).

> But then, it is not reasonable to rely on DTDs on the Web, so this
> slight misfeature in Gecko is useful in discouraging the use of DTDs.

I think it is orthogonal to the use or not of DTDs. For instance, in my
case I wanted to process documents that included (character) entities.
Non-validating XML parsers are not allowed to declare those as
non-wellformed just because they use externally-defined entities. I was
unable to process those documents in some systems because the XML parser
was incorrectly failing to parse them.

Steven