From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Jason
Sent: 03 November 2006 12:37
To: www-forms
Subject: Re: repeats

ok - so with the new draft and xforms 1.0 I now have to load an instance and
a matching prototype instead of the original idea of using the initial
instance as the prototype.

in every practical xform I have made I have always ended up setting my
instance as an empty prototype anyway, then I either remove all the
offending elements in the xforms-ready event handler, or load new data from
somewhere.
why is the 1.1 notion any better than this? and if there is a froced
prototype (and there is) then why not label it as such, then you could
re-automate activity like the original insert idea without the xform author
needing to specify the default behaviour?

I was hoping that xforms was moving more toward a more free idea with
respect to managing the xml model, with the bind  elements representing the
effective interface between model and view. more and more I find myself
required to use xpath instead of bind in many view attributes just because
they dont accept a bind or because I cant include the xpath
functions to get things working in combination with binds.    I was
hoping to be able to effectively traverse unknown xml structures and create
trees dynamically etc. unfortunately this seems not to be the current
direction.

where would be the harm in restoring the older notion of the original
instance data operating as the default prototype? the new context and origin
options would not be effected and could be left in place for those that
choose to use them when they are actually needed

Jason.