RE: Why no id attribute in common attributes?

Hi Leigh,

Since it is not the case that xml:id deprecated the use of ID type
attributes, the question arises:

If an XML vocabulary describes an ID attribute and XML itself describes an
ID attribute, which one do you put?

This is the same question as the one you asked below about xhtml:id versus
xforms:id.  And the answer is that
it doesn't really matter.  XML does not say that you can't have two
*possible* attributes of type ID.  It only says
that you can't have two *actual* attributes of type ID.

This is part of why I believe that the argument against declaring an id in
common attributes holds no water.

Moreover, the question of xhtml:id versus xforms:id is a bit of a tangent
because what I'd like to do is
have the id attribute be in the Per-Element-Type partition, not the Global
Attribute partition.  This means
one would write id as an unqualified attribute, not as one qualified by a
namespace prefix.

This is the other part of why I believe there is no good argument against
declaring an id in XForms common attributes.

Authors want to be able to write id="X" rather than xhtml:id="X".  In
particular, it is the desire to reduce namespace
qualification that is causing us to want to import the XForms vocabulary
into the XHTML2 namespace.  Forcing
XForms authors to namespace qualify their ID attributes works against this
goal.

Best regards,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect/Research Scientist
Co-Chair, W3C XForms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

"Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
05/19/2006 03:55 PM

John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA, "Kelly Miller" <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com>
cc
<www-forms@w3.org>, <www-forms-request@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Why no id attribute in common attributes?

xml:id *came* from XForms.  You might recall it was proposed by Steven
Pemberton at the San Diego F2F Halloween 2000.

    Steven Pemberton: Let's create a draft for xml:id.
    Leigh Klotz: We're all having trouble with it; let's all be authors.
    Steven Pemberton: OK. We cannot put DTDs in external instances in
XForms, so there is no way to declare ID attributes on them.
    Resolution 2002-11-21.2: We create a draft for xml:id to help ease
problems with XForms integration.
The rationale for leaving it out is not flimsy; it has everything to do
with namespaces.
If XHTML describes an id called xhtml:id and xforms describes and id
called xforms:id, and XML says you can't have two ID attributes on the
same element, which one do you put?

Leigh.