Deferred action behaviour

From: Allan Beaufour <beaufour@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 10:38:13 +0200
To: www-forms <www-forms@w3.org>

At the teleconf. "deferred action behaviour" was mentioned while
talking about events.

I've always thought that <setvalue/> follows the "Sequence: Value
Change", which sets the instance data, and then dispatches
xforms-recalculate, xforms-revalidate, xforms-refresh.
[http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xforms-20060314/slice4.html#rpm-event-seq-vcwfc]

So I then thought that inside an action block, the dispatching of
these events would be delayed until after the last action. So these
two:
(1)
<setvalue .../>
(2)
<action>
  <setvalue .../>
</action>
would be equivalent.

But, re-reading about actions, I suddenly see this:
"Each outermost action handler can be thought of as having a set of
Boolean flags, initially false, to indicate whether each of the
actions rebuild, recalculate, revalidate, and refresh are required
upon termination of the outer action handler."
[http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xforms-20060314/slice10.html#action-action]

These actions "bypass" the normal event system (which I think makes
sense). But shouldn't the <action/> dispatch events, and not use the
actions? With the current wording (1) would result in events, and (2)
would not.

It sounds wrong to me. I might have missed something though?

--
... Allan