Re: xsd:duration datatype validation

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for the follow up.

I do have some difficulties understanding the rationale for changing
xsd:duration to an abstract type. I can understand the problem when
comparing xsd:dateTimeDuration with xsd:dayDateDuration but when does
something like that happen in XForms?

I think it is a problem that XForms states that xsd:duration isn't
supported as this holds for Full as well as Basic. 3rd part schemas
could use one of these types and because of the wording in the spec in
section 5.1 I believe the validation result and processing of the form
is undefined. The same holds for |xsd:ENTITY|, |xsd:ENTITIES|, and
|xsd:NOTATION.

|Best regards,
David

Klotz, Leigh wrote:
> xsd:duration has a problem when used as a concrete type.  Its subtypes,
> dayDateDuration and dateTimeDuration are well specified, but they are
> not commensurable; e.g., which is longer -- 29 days or one month? If you
> do a Google search on "xsd:duration" this issue shows up as the #2
> hit...
>
> So to avoid potential problems, someone (I believe Micah Dubinko)
> proposed that we require support only for the leaf types and leave
> xsd:duration as an abstract type. Somehow the rationale for this got
> left out.  I believe the belief at the time was that the XML Schema WG
> would be issuing such a note themselves.  It appears that this work got
> pushed to XPath 2.0 / XML Query according to some presentations by Ashok
> Malhotra.  Probably this issue will come up again in the context of
> XPath 2.0 but it should be clearer this time.
>
> Leigh.

Chief Executive Officer, SolidApp
Web: http://www.solidapp.com
Office: +45 48268212