Re: XForms timer

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:45:47 -0700
To: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Cc: "'www-forms'" <www-forms@w3.org>, www-forms-request@w3.org
Hi Eric,

As a point of reference, the XFDL language expresses a presentation layer
that "skins" XForms with
presentation level controls like buttons, popup/dropdown controls, check
boxes, etc.

One of our controls is the xfdl:action.  We called it action back in 1994,
so the local name conflict with
XForms is unintentional.

Anyway, it provides a metronome that can do something after a certain
period of time.  The action
can be done once, repeatedly and/or intermittently.

In our latest version of XFDL+XForms, the xfdl:action element can be used
as the skin for an
xforms:trigger or xforms:submit.

So, the point is that the host language could be the place where a timer
object could be created
that decides when to actuate an xforms:trigger.

Cheers,

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect/Research Scientist
Co-Chair, W3C XForms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
05/11/2006 04:34 PM

"'www-forms'" <www-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
Re: XForms timer

Mark Birbeck wrote:
 > Adrian,
 >
 >> ...it's important because it's such a common requirement,
 >> and it becomes easier for the author if the language supports
 >> it directly & declaratively. If there are more common tasks
 >> that currently require scripting, then sure tackle them
 >> first. But this one seems to stick out as a very common use
 >> case which isn't currently covered.
 >
 > I agree, but I don't think it should be in XForms.

This could certainly be in another specification that can be used along
with XForms, but I do think that somebody, somewhere should standardize
declarative markup to implement a timer.

-Erik

--
Orbeon - XForms Everywhere:
http://www.orbeon.com/blog/