Re: Deploying (accessible) XForms today?

On 5/9/06, Ulrich Nicolas Lissé <u.n.l@gmx.net> wrote:
> I don't see why server-side XForms processing should loose accessibility
> in contrast to client-side processing. You can have non-accessible pages
> requiring client-side XForms processing just as perfectly accessible
> server-generated pages.

I'm not attacking server-side processors. If it came out like that,
I'm sorry. That was not intended. I do not have a hidden agenda of
trying to push my "own implementation". I just keep seeing these
"XForms should be good for accessibility -> but there is no generic
client support -> where does that leave us?" questions, and would like
to have an answer to that.

> In fact this is what Chiba does. It attempts to generate as clean and
> conformant HTML 4.01 + CSS 2 pages as possible. When the client supports
> Javascript, Chiba automatically delivers AJAX-powered pages to improve
> the user experience. Of course there are still some quirks in but we try
> to approach 100% HTML 4.01 Strict conformance some day. The use of AJAX
> (or Partial Page Updates or XML Data Islands as this technique had been
> called when we started to explore it) is simply a means to an end.
>
> Like Erik I'm no accessibility expert but as far as I understand
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS and related specs scripting is
> not generally considered harmful for accessibility. There are a bunch of
> rules regarding the markup itself and the use of scripting. I'm
> convinced that it is achievable to create scripted pages aligning to
> accessibility rules.

Well, I hope too, but I have yet to see an "authorative" answer to it.

--
... Allan