Getting a form to work on more than one browser

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:19:54 +0200
To: "Forms WG" <w3c-forms@w3.org>, "www-forms@w3.org" <www-forms@w3.org>

It has been an irritation to me that it was so difficult to get a form
that works in all browsers (particularly IE).

I think I've found a solution. Want to try it? You get a dialogue box from
IE, but click on 'Open' and it still works (as long as you have a suitable
plugin of course). You can also switch off the dialogue box 'for this type
of file'.

The trick? Add "?.html" at the end of the URL. It seems to fool IE into
sniffing despite the application/xhtml+xml media type.

(This will work for any document served as application/xhtml+xml by the

Steven Pemberton