Re: Context menus in XForms

From: Allan Beaufour <beaufour@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:53:13 +0100
To: "David Landwehr" <david.landwehr@solidapp.com>
Cc: www-forms@w3.org

On 3/14/06, David Landwehr <david.landwehr@solidapp.com> wrote:
> I would like to provide a functionality of context menus in my XForms
> processor for MIDP, but I'm having difficulties to see how the abstract
> controls in XForms will let me do this.

I have not thought much about this, so excuse my 10km viewpoint :)

> To expand on my use case
> consider the following example:
> <xforms:input ref="email">
>   <xforms:label>Email:</xforms:label>
>   <xforms:contextmenu>
>     <xforms:label>Options</xforms:label>
>     <xforms:contextmenu>
>       <xforms:label>Send</xforms:label>
>       <xforms:trigger>
>         <xforms:label>via bluetooth</xforms:label>
>         <xforms:submit send="via-bluetooth"/>
>   </close all elements>
>
> So when you give focus to the input (or right click in the input field
> in a browser) a context  menu is available which has the structure
>   Send -> via bluetooth
>
> In the above example I just use the contextmenu element and the trigger
> element for illustration purposes. I have no idea how to express this in
> XForms in a standardized way and was wondering if anyone had a good
> suggestion?

The first thought that occurred to me was that a menu is a select1.
You want to select one item. But then again, it is data bound and
keeping the menu choice in data is a bit "weird". You could just @ref
/dev/null though. So with the right UA interpretation of
appearance="contextmenu" that could work. The problem is how to
"attach it to a control though...

But is a contextmenu something like hint and help? Something that can
be triggered on a control. Then we should have something like you
propose above. Is that how you envisioned it to work?

--
... Allan