Re: xforms 1.1 xf:insert examples

Erik Bruchez wrote:

> Aaron Reed wrote:
>
>  >> With your code above, neither this...
>  >>
>  >>  > 2) Or does the processor create a muppet directory and then insert
>  >> name
>  >>  > underneath it?
>  >>
>  >> ...nor that ;-) With your code, the operation just doesn't do
>  >> anything, because the insert nodeset is empty and you do not specify
>  >> an insertion context with the @context attribute.
>  >
>  > Are you sure?
>
> Fairly sure, yes.
>
>  > Can you show me in the spec where this rule comes from because I'm
>  > missing it when I look.
>
> Here it is:
>
>  "The insert action is terminated with no effect if the insert context
>   is the empty node-set or if the context attribute is not given and
>   the Node Set Binding node-set is empty."

My bad.  You are absolutely right, I missed that line completely.

>  > And if this is what the behavior is supposed to be then I suggest a
>  > change in the spec because it isn't apparent to me.
>
> Let's not go too fast ;-) The behavior as described makes sense to me,
> but your feedback is welcome. Could you explain what you don't like
> with this behavior?

I have no problem with the behavior as it is stated in the spec (now
that you've explained it to me).  I started this thread because the I
didn't like the behavior that was MY understanding of the spec.  But
that understanding was quite wrong :)

So how would I change the spec so that no one is left with the
understanding that I had?  I would like the spec to have a section
describing the rules governing @nodeset, if nothing else.  In my case, I
wasn't looking at the text under @context very closely because I didn't
have a @context on my element.  I would think that a section that
contains any phrase that says, "if the nodeset is empty..." would have
that phrase/rule re-iterated under a section for @nodeset.

Man, this is a complicated section with a bunch of rules.  I hope that
there will be a lot of testsuite coverage here! ;)

Thanks again for your help Erik!
--Aaron