Newbie question: alternative to message/hint/help?

From: Jeff Orchard <porch@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:41:44 -0500
To: <www-forms@w3.org>

Hi all,

Another newbie question for the experts.

I'm trying to figure out a way to display a block of instructional text when
an input element has focus.

It's a fairly lengthy block of text that I'd like to position with CSS, so
the "levels" behaviours aren't much help. The CSS-P is not a problem, I just
need an element to grab a hold of.

I considered making the instructional text "relevant" when the input element
has focus, but haven't had much luck finding a way to bind the two.

All the best,

Jeff