From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Mark Seaborne
Sent: 18 August 2006 10:14
To: www-forms
Subject: Re: Switch case construct

Francisco,

Surely the effect you achieve in your form, of using model based relevance
to determine which cases are potentially viewable by the user, is already
achievable using "conventional" model-based switching? You could use group
instead of switch/case, or, if you were using switch/case as currently
defined (rather than your own tabswitch/case) you would just bind triggers
styled to look like tabs to you model. Either way the same effect is
achieved.

The thing that stands out about your tabswitch element is that it manages
case selection directly without the need for some other mechanism, such as
triggers. That is rather neat. So if switch was to be changed to allow this
kind of @appearance="tabbed" (for example) then each case would
automatically get its own trigger, that would need to behave just like a
normal trigger, I guess with a default action of toggle to its parent case,
triggered by DOMActivate.

I think that this might fall under the category of making common design
patterns easy for authors and could be considered by the WG.

The simplest pattern achievable like this is to say all cases would be
relevant. If you wanted the mechanism to support relevance then you would
either need ref/bind on case.

But then where would the auto-generated trigger get its label, etc from?

If you have to add to case single node binding, label, help, hint and action
it is arguable that you might as easily wrap them in a trigger element as
described above, which would give more flexibility with styling, etc.

So maybe switch/case is alright after all? I'm not sure.

All the best

Mark