From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of John Boyer
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 5:26 PM
To: Erik Bruchez
Cc: www-forms@w3.org; www-forms-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: Why XForms 1.1 output/@mediatype exclude text/*?

We reached consensus some time ago on limiting *XForms* 1.1 to non-text
media types precisely to avoid for now the problem of introducing into
XForms the requirement to process host language constructs.

It is an easy thing to add to XHTML+XForms, but to the extent that
XForms is still trying to be applicable to host languages other than
XHTML, the feature becomes a little harder.

The hope was that we would ultimately come up with language that
describes optional (in the RFC 2119 sense) functionality that can be
introduced by a particular host language.  Such constructs do, however,
still make it hard to port the core XForms from one host language to
another, so it feels a bit like a hack feature that would be introduced
for expediency rather than because it is the right thing to do.  I.e. it
feels like something being pushed into XForms because it's easier than
trying to push the right features into XHTML.

In any case, the consensus was that it was reasonable to encumber an
XForms processor, regardless of host language, to process an image.  A
non-visual language could ignore the image, but all different visual
host langauges would show the image.  On the other hand, the handling of
xforms:output by SVG or XFDL or XSL-FO should not be encumbered with the
requirement to show the XHTML.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect/Research Scientist
Co-Chair, W3C XForms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org

08/16/2006 04:03 PM

www-forms@w3.org
cc
Subject
Re: Why XForms 1.1 output/@mediatype exclude text/*?

I can only agree with that. Like FormsPlayer, OPS also implements
mediatype="text/html" (on xforms:output and xforms:textarea), and it is
a straightforward addition to the spec.

-Erik

--
Orbeon - XForms Everywhere: