Re: Cancel a submission in progress

> 1. xforms-submit-error is signalled both when submission fails to happen
> and when the server responds with a failure.
> The two cases are indistinguishable for the form, and that leads to
> mayhem, as I noted on April 3rd, 2006:
> >From: Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com
> >Subject: RE: What to do with a 404 on a submission replace="all"?
> >On a related topic, I wish there were a way to distinguish
> server-reported errors
> >such as the 404) from processor-generated errors (such as missing
> required fields).
> >Presumably this will come with the context info, but it would probably
> be useful
> >even to separate them at gross level.  As it is, a form that catches
> >xforms-submit-error can't do much with it.  And if the processor
> reports
> >validation or required field errors on its own (such as by highlighting
> >missing fields), then the xforms-submit-error is a true annoyance.

I agree, that we should have a way to figure out whether the
submission error was cased by the processor or the server returning an
error. In general it's quite hard to figure out what went wrong in
submission, if something fails. Hopefully some of this will be part of
the submission spec.?

> So my conclusion is that intentionally sending back HTTP error codes is
> just not a good practice with XFOrms 1.0, and instead we need to return
> error documents.

That's entirely up to the form/service author, isn't it? If the form
author uses a wrong URI, a 404 would probably occur, no matter what.

> 3. So far so good, but what happens if you want to offer a new page
> instead of a new view (i.e., you really want to change your mind and do
> a replace=all with a new URI).  How can you perform xf:load differently
> in the two cases without putting the new resource URI into the returned
> instance, which inappropriately mixes data and presentation?
>
> Is xforms-value-changed or xforms-enabled supposed to work for this?

xforms-value-changed should work I think. In theory, maybe not in practice :)

--
... Allan