Re: Additions to section 7?

I think that you missed that I in my first mail attached a full
specification-text to all the suggestions...

On 4/4/06, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net> wrote:
> > 3) Add "shortcut" for getting the instance document directly
> > from the |instance| element.
>
> Just pondering how this might be done. One thought is to go the way that the
> SVG group have gone, and just have a 'get' function (they have
> getSVGDocument()).
>
> Another possibility is a bit more 'abstract', and that is to link this to
> the more general notion of 'shadow trees'. I don't know if you have such a
> function at the moment for your XBL, but there may be some crossover here;
> some general function that applies to other elements too, could be used to
> 'get the hidden data associated with this element'.

Hmm, well, I think that that might be overdoing this proposal a bit :)

> > 4) Make it possible to get from an instance data node to the
> > |instance| element in the form.
>
> That's an interesting one. Wouldn't the interface for DOM nodes have to be
> modified? That could get a little tricky.

If you look at my attachment, you can see we do it through the DOM 3
getFeature() call.

> Out of interest, what sort of use cases are you thinking of for this? Is it
> so that you can find out the model? Or do you want to get to other nodes in
> the same instance as a node you already have?

Yes, it's usually used to get to the model. Or the "main" document, to
attach events listeners and such.

> One last thing, do you have a way to obtain the instance node that is bound
> to a particular control?

Yes, we expose an "XForms accessors object" on most of our UI
controls, and that object has a "getBoundNode()" function:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XForms:Custom_Controls#API

--
... Allan