How to handle the server response?

From: Daniel Swarbrick <daniel@pressure.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:10:14 +1200
To: www-forms@w3.org

Is it possible to interpret the server response in Javascript from a
server response after xforms-submit-done?

My intention is to submit data (with replace=none) to a PHP script that
attempts to insert a record into a database. However, if there is a
database primary key violation, this needs to be reported to the xforms
client, and an appropriate error displayed.

Or am I better to use some "output" tags in my document, and set
replace=instance and instance=my-output-instance to display anything
returned from the server upon submit?

I currently achieve this functionality with Ajax, using Javascript to
parse a small XML document returned by the server containing server-side
validation failure errors, and writeln() them to a div.