Re: XULRunner Does XForms - XForms Calculator Demo Now Live

From: Rafael Benito <rbenito@satec.es>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 17:25:34 +0200
To: <www-forms@w3.org>
  <http://www.satec.es/plant_correo/img/Logo_sistemas.gif>

This is one issue that seems important to us. Which is the best presentation
layer for XForms?

In our opinion, the problem is that in XForms we have a nice data-logic
separation, but when you embed XForms in HTML, XUL, SVG, etc... we are
mixing the presentation with the processing logic.

We are exoeriencing with a different approach in a PDA tool we developed
-DataMovil-. What we are doing is assigning a "look" and a "layout" to the
XForms controls in the same way as you use the "ref" attribute to link the
logic and data parts of XForms. There are issues with presentation
containers but XForms provides the "group" container that can be mapped to
presentation containers in the same way. We are working into that.

We think that there are many advantages in this approach:

    - better legibility of the code, improving maintenance.

    - better reusability of the various parts of the code: data model,
logical processing and presentation

    - it is easier to modify the code without getting into too much
problems.

Kind regards,

Rafael Benito Ruíz de Villa
Responsable Sistemas de Negocio en Red
Móvil (+34) 617 314 293
rbenito@satec.es

http://www.satec.es

http://www.datamovil.info

MADRID <http://www.satec.es>
Avda. Europa, 34 A
28023 Aravaca
Telf.: (+34) 91 708 90 00 / 91 211 03 00
Fax: (+34) 91 708 90 90 / 91 211 03 90

Logo_sistemas.gif
(image/gif attachment: Logo_sistemas.gif)

logosatecwww2.gif
(image/gif attachment: logosatecwww2.gif)