Fw: Disabling a button based on validity

Vinzo,

> And furthermore difficult since David Landwehr show me that an event
'xforms-invalid' is dispatched when an invalid data is changed to a still
invalid value.

Which is why my xforms-(in)valid handlers just set an instance element for
that field to 0 or 1. The event can fire as many times as possible.
There is a completely separate element for counting the number of
valid/invalid fields.

The code I presented below is not that cumbersome. Once you have the
instance and the three binds, you need a single instance data element per
field and two simple event handlers per control.

Use of formsPlayer's fpext:valid function would remove the need for the two
event handlers per control in favor of a bind/@calculate statement.

What I'm finding as I develop more and more complex XForms is to follow a
spreadsheet model and not try to do too much in each "formula". Instead I'm
calculating something to set up a calculation for something higher and so
on.

Andy

             Vincent Berger
             <vincent.berger@a
             fp.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  Erik Bruchez <erik@bruchez.org>
             www-forms-request                                          cc
             @w3.org                   www-forms@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Disabling a button based on
             10/27/2005 10:23          validity
             AM

Hi Erik,

Le mardi 25 octobre 2005 à 18:49 +0200, Erik Bruchez a écrit :

      Thanks Andy. It makes sense, and unfortunately (for you and I) falls
      into the category "here is a way, but it's really a dirty hack" ;-)

      We have done exactly the same things by placing a single event
      handler
      higher up the XHTML, to catch all the validation events of a group of

      controls, and incrementing vs. decrementing a counter. This takes
      about
      10-15 lines of extra code, including the extra instance. I think that

      ideally such a functionality should be achieved with a single
      attribute.

This extra-code is not so easy to do for me. And furthermore difficult
since David Landwehr
show me that an event 'xforms-invalid' is dispatched when an invalid data
is changed to a still invalid value.

In the first extra-code I´ve done, the counter was incremented in the case
above ... and it´s wrong of course.
My second extra-code works but is too dirty to be written there.

Shall I see yours, please ?

vinzo.

      So far, we are taking branch #2 in my original question!

      -Erik

      http://www.xforms-wiki.com/bin/view/Main/XformsXpathFunctionsExtension

      >              Erik Bruchez

      >              <erik@bruchez.org

      >              >
      >              Sent by:                  www-forms@w3.org

      >              www-forms-request
      cc
      >              @w3.org

      Subject
      >                                        Disabling a button based on

      >              10/25/2005 08:32          validity

      >              AM

      > All,
      >
      > I am having trouble figuring out the solution to an extremely basic
      UI
      > requirement: disabling a submit button, implemented either with
      > xforms:submit or xforms:trigger, until certain fields have been
      filled
      > out correctly by the user.
      >
      > Of course, you could leave the button always enabled. Upon XForms
      > submission, if the submitted instance is not valid or has missing
      > required fields, submission will fail, throw an
      xforms-submit-error,

 --
 Vincent Berger <vincent.berger@afp.com>
 Agence France-Presse

This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individ ual or entity to whom it is addressed. If
you have received this email in error, please contact the sende r and
delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distr ibute or copy this email.

For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at
http://www.afp.com