RE: AJAX vs. Xforms

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:36:29 +0100
To: "'Rafael Benito'" <rbenito@satec.es>
Cc: <www-forms@w3.org>

Hi Rafael,

I think the big difference with the Ajax 'community' is that they produce
lots of examples, run Wikis that explain things, and so on. I don't believe
XForms is that difficult, but I think new users do need orienting, yet the
XForms 'community' has been pretty bad at providing the support needed. In
fact, I'd go so far as to say that this is one of the worst 'communities' I
have seen--take a look at things like SVG and Python and you'll see primers,
samples, Wikis, and all sorts.

So, in short, if XForms has a low take-up we only have ourselves to blame!

As our contribution to helping XForms move forwards (in addition to
providing a free plug-in!) we have set-up a Wiki, and have tried to add
demos, links and descriptions to help people use XForms. But it needs a lot
more, so if people want to help with examples, code snippets, handy links to
web services, pattern descriptions or whatever they want, please head over
to http://www.xforms-wiki.com/.

One other initiative worth mentioning is that we will be working with the
guys at Orbeon to produce some substantial cross-processor examples. Once
done they will go up on the Wiki, and we hope that these will also help
people new to XForms.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck