Re: xforms-link-error target

FYI, the current XForms 1.1 working draft removes the src attribute from
label, help, hint, alert and message
for reasons explained in the working draft.

Application of a src attribute then becomes purely a host language
extension.  This would appear to
substantiate Eric's point.

Cheers,
John Boyer

Erik Bruchez <erik@bruchez.org>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
10/08/2005 08:50 AM

www-forms@w3.org
cc

Subject
Re: xforms-link-error target

Aaron Reed wrote:

 >>I am however wondering what the reasoning is behind sending
 >>xforms-link-error to the model.
 >
 > I'm just guessing here since I wasn't around when the decision was
 > made, but I think that it makes sense.  The errors are because the
 > links are bad, which is a reflection on the instance data that the
 > model contains.  It isn't a reflection on anything being wrong with
 > the control.  Changing the control won't fix the problem.

With something like:

<xforms:input ...>
   <xforms:hint src="http://..."/>
</xforms:input>

In this case, the failing hint is related to the control, and has
nothing to do with a model or instance.

 > The link that failed should be in the context info for the event
 > according to the spec
 > (http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/index-all.html#evt-linkError)

True. However, you don't have a way, with XForms, to extract this
context information, or to identify the control whose hint's src
failed.

-Erik